Thursday, October 04, 2007

More Adventures with Apples

So I finally got to some apple recipes today. This morning I made some applesauce. It came out really delicious and couldn't have been any easier to make!

My next recipe was to make a "crustless" apple pie. Its not really crustless as you put stuff on top, but hey, I didn't name it.

I used this nifty apple peeler/corer. It makes the job so much easier and is fun to use. If you bake with apples a lot it is a MUST have! You can see it to the right on the picture below. You just put the apple on the spikes and turn the crank. So here is my heap of apple remains once I peeled and cored what I needed.



Here are my apples neatly sliced and well sugared and cinnamoned. Ready to go in the pie plate.



Here it is in the oven...getting yummier by the minute.



And it's done. Really doesn't look much different than before it was cooked! Hmm, I never made this before...I hope it tastes good!



Cla sharing the first bite with Bunny (our trusty cat).



Cla said it was very tasty. I haven't tried it yet. If I made it again I would do it in a square pyrex and add more crumbs on top...so it would be more like a cobbler. It was hard to get the crumbs to stay where they were supposed to on a big mounded pie plate of apples.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I made it in pyrex as you suggested. Topping stayed on well, covered all apples edge to edge, but it was a little too firm I think--actually kinda hard. I think it would be better to make less topping so that the apples peek through so there would be less hard stuff and next time I will put chopped walnuts mixed in with the apples! sounds tastey. All in all, it was a pretty easy and tasty dessert.

Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

You may be right...but it needs more something to mix with the apples...Otherwise you have a pan of apples and hardly anything else. So I think nuts are a good idea....and I FULLY plan to try some caramel in there!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

nuts and raisins would be good!

Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

Raisins don't make anything good.

Claudio Salvucci said...

Next experiment:

Apple sandwich!

Claudio Salvucci said...

we need to use the good camera. The colors all stink on your cell phone. :(

Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

Cla remember we ate at that brewery restaurant in Time Square a million years ago. They had an apple sandwich!! It was so good! It was made on a cut in have soft (NY not Philly style) pretzel and had roast turkey apple slices and brie! Mmmm, I could go for that!

Claudio Salvucci said...

Brewery restaurant...hmmm. I *think* so. Was that the one that was on the second floor or something? With big windows looking out over the square?

Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

Yes!! And it had those huge metal.....brewery things LOL..

We should make a trip.

Anonymous said...

don't you find it strange that 2 people who live together speak to each other through a blog?

Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

Anonymous,

No, because 1. Claudio is at work all day and 2. We enjoy blogging together and find it funny.

Don't YOU find it strange that whenever someone has a snarky comment to leave they are suddenly anonymous?

Anonymous said...

It needs a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream!