Friday, September 21, 2007

Back to throwing shoes at the television

So I feel punchy lately. Jamie's watching 20/20 and they do this *horrendous* piece on ex-gays/reparative therapy. Total propaganda. I said to Jamie at the commercial...you know one name you won't hear...Dr. Robert Spitzer, who actually got homosexuality pulled off the list of psychological disorders in the 1970s, and who published a famous study a few years ago that indicated that therapy to cure homosexuality can work in some cases. Sure enough, nary a mention.

I did my usual yelling at the TV, then I fired ABC a little email:

Your last program "The Toughest Call" on ex-gays/reparative therapy was, to put it bluntly, ridiculous. I noticed you were quick to point out the professional organizations that came out *against* therapy for homosexuality (e.g. the APA), but conveniently left out Dr. Robert Spitzer's name, the psychiatrist who famously reversed his own position on this issue.

Funny...those screaming for freedom to *live* a gay lifestyle seem to get awfully upset when people use that same freedom to *leave* it.


I feel like I need a literary shower. Dante feels right about now:

The wasteland was a dry expanse of sand,
thick, burning sand, no different than the kind
that Cato's feet packed down in other times.

O just revenge of God! How awesomely
you should be feared by everyone who reads
these truths that were revealed to my own eyes!

Many separate herds of naked souls I saw,
all weeping desperately; it seemed each group
had been assigned a different penalty;

some souls were stretched out flat upon their backs,
others were crouching there all tightly hunched,
some wandered, never stopping, round and round.


The three herds: the Blasphemers, the Usurers, and the Sodomites.

No comments: