Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yarn Along

FINALLY getting around to joining Ginny at Small Things in her weekly yarn along!!

I have been a reluctant, on and off again knitter for years, but in an effort to find something nearby/simple that I could do to get out of the house once per week I decided to sign up for a knitting class at my local fiber shop, Woolbearers (PS check out the website and like Woolbearers on FB...great little shop!!).

So the class I signed up for was to knit this mammoth afghan from Barbara Walker'sLearn-To-Knit-Afghan Book Let's just say I have been taking this class since September and I just started block 12!! There are 63 blocks in all.  I should be done with it when I am about 80 LOL!

But I REALLY love getting out on Tuesday evenings, sitting with the other ladies and chit chatting...or even just sitting in silence as we are all busy counting our stitches.  I always come home refreshed.

As for what I am reading.  I have two books going.  One is The Blueberry Years: A Memoir of Farm and Family.  It is about a couple who bought an old farm and started an organic blueberry farm...haven't gotten much past the intro so that is all I can tell you LOL...

Also just started We Took to the Woods which is about a family that lives in the Northwest corner of Maine in the middle of nowhere with no roads and no neighbors.   Again just started it so that is about all I can tell you at this point, but both are very interesting so far!

And just in an effort to catch up on all my missed "Yarn Along" opportunities here are my completed squares for the afghan!  I am sort of questioning my color choices....I love each color, but I think I should have matched them up differently.  You live and learn *shrug*



(BTW if someone can  tell me what the story is with those white squares next to my links please do share!)

2 comments:

Tonya Gunn said...

I enjoyed reading "We Took to the Woods". Thank you for recommending the other book.
Best wishes with your blanket. What a wonderful way to learn to knit.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Mary G said...

What a great idea .. I don't know if I could do all 63 squares, but I do like the idea of the sampler blanket!

Enjoy!